Re: pgsql: Improve autovacuum logging for aggressive andanti-wraparound ru

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: pgsql: Improve autovacuum logging for aggressive andanti-wraparound ru
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2018-09-24 18:25:46 +0000, Nasby, Jim wrote:

> > On Sep 21, 2018, at 12:43 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> >
> >> But as far i can see it is possible have aggressive non-wraparound vacuum. One important difference - regular and
aggressiveregular can be canceled by backend,.wraparound autovacuum can not. (by checking PROC_VACUUM_FOR_WRAPAROUND in
src/backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c)

> > Yes, without checking the code, they should be different. Aggressive is
> > controlled by vacuum_freeze_table_age whereas anti-wrap is controlled by
> > autovacuum_freeze_max_age (but also implies aggressive).
>
> Right, except that by the time you get into the vacuum code itself nothing should really care about that difference.
AFAICT,the only thing is_wraparound is being used for is to set MyPgXact->vacuumFlags |= PROC_VACUUM_FOR_WRAPAROUND,
whichprevents the deadlock detector from killing an autovac process that’s trying to prevent a wraparound. I think it’d
beclearer to remove is_wraparound and move the check from vacuum_rel() into lazy_vacuum_rel() (which is where the
limitsfor HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum get determined). Something like the attached.

I'm very doubtful this is an improvement. Especially with the upcoming
pluggable storage work making vacuumlazy.c heap specific, while vacuum.c
stays generic.  The concept of something like
PROC_VACUUM_FOR_WRAPAROUND, should imo not be pushed down that much
(even if criteria for it might).

Greetings,

Andres Freund

От: "Nasby, Jim"
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Improve autovacuum logging for aggressive andanti-wraparound ru
От: Lukas Fittl
Сообщение: auto_explain: Include JIT output if applicable