Re: BUG #15376: Postgres sql 9.4.19 pg_upgrade stops with error Thesource cluster was not shut down cleanly.

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: BUG #15376: Postgres sql 9.4.19 pg_upgrade stops with error Thesource cluster was not shut down cleanly.
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:27:44AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 06:51:44AM +0530, kalyani kaniganti wrote:
> > I have a query,in our case old db is not getting shutdown cleanly .May I
> > know why the DB is unable to shutdown cleanly and this happens repeatedly
> > .How we can recover the cluster state going to in production state after
> > stopping the cluster.
>
> If one of your PostgreSQL instances is not able to stop, its logs would
> tell you what it did not have time to finish.  You may perhaps blame the
> time it takes for the shutdown checkpoint to finish.  You should also
> try to use the fast mode of "pg_ctl stop", which makes sure that all
> sessions connected are forcibly finished cleanly, allowing Postgres to
> not need crash recovery the next time it starts.

Oh, I never suspected it was a timing issue.  Use pg_ctl -w to wait for
the shutdown.  The default for wait has changed over time.  I will add
-w to the pg_upgrade manual page example using pg_ctl for stopping the
server.