Re: [Patch] Create a new session in postmaster by calling setsid()

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [Patch] Create a new session in postmaster by calling setsid()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 12:11:26PM +0800, Paul Guo wrote:
> Yes, if considering the case of starting postmaster manually, we can not
> create
> a new session in postmaster, so pg_ctl seems to be a good place for setsid()
> call. Attached a newer patch. Thanks.

Hmm.  This patch breaks a feature of pg_ctl that I am really fond of for
development.  When starting a node which enters in recovery, I sometimes
use Ctrl-C to stop pg_ctl, which automatically makes the started
Postgres instance to stop, and this saves more strokes.  With your
patch, you don't get that anymore: when issuing Ctrl-C on pg_ctl then
the started instance still runs in the background.  I would be ready to
accept a patch which does not change the default behavior, and makes the
deamonization behavior activated only if an option switch is given by
the user, like -d/--daemon.  So I am -1 for what is proposed in its
current shape.
--
Michael

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: review printing ecpg program version
Сообщение: Re: review printing ecpg program version