Re: master, static inline and #ifndef FRONTEND

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: master, static inline and #ifndef FRONTEND
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-09-10 12:39:16 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > In a recent commit [1] I added a static inline which castoroides
> > dislikes: ...
> > It's obviously trivial to fix this case with by adding an #ifndef
> > FRONTEND. But as castoroides appears to be the only animal showing the
> > problem - after subtracting the animals dead due to the C99 requirement
> > - I wonder if we shouldn't just require "proper" static inline
> > support. castoroides runs a 13yo OS, and newer compilers that do not
> > have the problem are readily available.
>
> Given that we currently have *no* working Solaris buildfarm members,
> I'm not prepared to tolerate "I can't be bothered to fix this",
> which is what your argument boils down to.

Uh, this seems unnecessarily dismissive. I wrote the above email minutes
after noticing the issue ( which in turn was shortly after the issue
occured), asking for feedback. Hardly "I can't be bothered to fix it"
territory. But adding a lot of #ifndef FRONTENDs isn't entirely free
either...

> We need to get at least one of castoroides and protosciurus back to
> green so that we can do platform-specific testing there [1], and
> castoroides appears to be the easier one to fix in the short term.

Note that rover-firefly runs on a solaris-ish environment and indeed
shows a problem
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=rover_firefly&dt=2018-09-10%2015%3A11%3A16

- Andres