Re: CREATE ROUTINE MAPPING

От Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Тема Re: CREATE ROUTINE MAPPING
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello.

At Tue, 4 Sep 2018 09:34:21 +0900, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote in
<CAD21AoCBfTKRFPwboss4xVEoVwUmi0gKBgwsWQijviJP3hScwQ@mail.gmail.com>
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 5:48 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> >> I'm also interested in this feature. While studying this feature, I
> >> understood that this feature just pair a local function with a remote
> >> function, not means that creates a kind of virtual function that can
> >> be invoked on only foreign servers. For example, if we execute the
> >> following SQL the local_func() is invoked in local because the col1
> >> column of local_table is referenced by it.

Do you mean that ISO/IEC 9075-9:2016 (right?) is defining that
(and we must follow it)?  Or does it comes by referring to
something like [1]? As far as I see David's mail upthread,
OPTIONS is not precisely defined.

[1] http://cs.unibo.it/~montesi/CBD/Articoli/SQL-MED.pdf

Unfortunately I don't have access to the document nor concrete
use cases. With a rough idea of "remote mapping", I can guess the
followng four use cases.  Each example syntax is just a guess
without any consideration on implementability or other
restrictions. The patch looks currently covering B.

A. Just notify a function can be just pushed down.

  ex. SELECT foo(1, 'bar');  Remote: SELECT foo(1, 'bar');

   CREATE ROUTINE MAPPING foomap FOR foo(int, text) SERVER rem;
   (or same as B)

B. Replace function name with the remote equivalent.

  ex. SELECT foo(1, 'bar');  Remote: SELECT hoge(1, 'bar');

   CREATE ROUTINE MAPPING foomap FOR foo(int, text) SERVER rem
   OPTIONS (remote_func_name 'hoge'));

C. Adjust function specification with remote.

  ex. SELECT foo(1, 'bar');  Remote: SELECT hoge('bar', 1, true);

   CREATE ROUTINE MAPPING foomap FOR foo(int, text) SERVER rem
   OPTIONS (remote_expression 'hoge($2,$1,true)');

D. Replace with an equivalent remote expression.

  ex. SELECT foo(1, 'bar');  Remote: SELECT ('bar' || to_char(1 % 10));

   CREATE ROUTINE MAPPING foomap FOR foo(int, text) SERVER rem
      OPTIONS (remote_expression '$2 || to_char($1 % 10)');

I haven't looked the patch in depth, but the core side looks
generic and the FDW side is extensible to A, C and D. I think B
is enough as a starter. I don't mean that we should implement all
of them. They are just possibilities.

I have some comments on the patch.

It doesn't seem working. Am I missing something?
====
create server sv1 foreign data wrapper postgres_fdw options (host '/tmp', port '5432', dbname 'postgres');
create table lt (a int);
create foreign table ft (a int) server sv1 options (table_name 'lt');
create function lhoge(int) returns int as 'begin return $1 * 2; end;' language plpgsql;
create routine mapping rm1 for function lhoge(int) server sv1 options (remote_func_name 'rhoge');
explain verbose select * from ft where a = lhoge(3);
                            QUERY PLAN
 Foreign Scan on public.ft  (cost=100.00..936.31 rows=15 width=4)
   Output: a
   Filter: (ft.a = lhoge(3))
   Remote SQL: SELECT a FROM public.lt
(4 rows)
====

Perhaps it cannot push down simple SQL local functions. (I'm not
sure we should do that.)

Can't we specify remote schema in remote_func_name just as
(remote_func_name "fooschema.funcname")?

Can't we provide the syntax without making MAPPING reserved?

 Chainging the syntax for ALTER/DROP ROUTINE MAPPING like USER
 MAPPING, specifically to ALTER/DROP ROUTINE MAPPING FOR FUNCTION
 fname SERVER sname would evade the conflict.

Can't we just push down the function itself with no option defined?

  CREATE ROUTINE MAPPING rm1 FOR FUNCTION pg_backend_pid() SERVER sv1;

funcid is not used in objectaddress.c.

(The patch is missing a LF in a comment in lsyscache.c)

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center