Re: could not read block 0 in file : read only 0 of 8192 bytes whendoing nasty on immutable index function

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: could not read block 0 in file : read only 0 of 8192 bytes whendoing nasty on immutable index function
Дата
Re: could not read block 0 in file : read only 0 of 8192 bytes when doing nasty on immutable index function  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-bugs
Hi,

On 2018-06-28 08:02:10 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I believe this happens because there's currently no relcache
> invalidation registered for the main relation, until *after* the index
> is built. Normally it'd be the CacheInvalidateRelcacheByTuple(tuple) in
> index_update_stats(), which is called at the bottom of index_build().
> But we never get there, because the earlier error.  That's bad, because
> any relcache entry built *after* the CommandCounterIncrement() in
> CommandCounterIncrement() will now be outdated.
>
> In the olden days we most of the time didn't build a relcache entry
> until after the index was built - but plan_create_index_workers() now
> does. I'm suspect there's other ways to trigger that earlier, too.
>
> Putting in a CacheInvalidateRelcache(heapRelation); before the CCI in
> index_create() indeed makes the "borked relcache" problem go away.
>

> I wonder why we don't just generally trigger invalidations to an
> indexes' "owning" relation in CacheInvalidateHeapTuple()?
>     else if (tupleRelId == IndexRelationId)
>     {
>         Form_pg_index indextup = (Form_pg_index) GETSTRUCT(tuple);
>
>         /*
>          * When a pg_index row is updated, we should send out a relcache inval
>          * for the index relation.  As above, we don't know the shared status
>          * of the index, but in practice it doesn't matter since indexes of
>          * shared catalogs can't have such updates.
>          */
>         relationId = indextup->indexrelid;
>         databaseId = MyDatabaseId;
>     }

Tom, do you have any comments about the above?  The biggest argument
against hardcoding that a pg_index update also invalidates the
corresponding relation, is that there's a lot of other things that we
could handle similarly. But I don't think any of those are as important
to relcache entries...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: could not read block 0 in file : read only 0 of 8192 bytes whendoing nasty on immutable index function
Сообщение: Re: could not read block 0 in file : read only 0 of 8192 bytes when doing nasty on immutable index function