Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-07-23 17:11:30 +0200, David Fetter wrote:
> Yet again, you are assuming contrary to reality that you can simply
> read and understand how legal code will operate without court cases to
> back it.

Oh, FFS. You're implying serious bad faith here (and not just on my
part, but also on the drafters of apache2, gplv3 etc).  I *explicitly*
said that we should check in with lawyers if we decided we want to go
forward.

You're arguing that we shouldn't even consider anything around patent
grants because YOU don't know of caselaw supporting what's
proposed. You're very clearly not a lawyer. You're doing precisely what
you warn about.

> In the particular instance you're citing, that's what happens
> *after* the contract is upheld as legal, which it could well not be.

In which case we'd likely be screwed anyway, because the right to the
code would quite likely not be effective anymore either. A lot of the
relevant law treats copyright and patents similarly.

Greetings,

Andres Freund