Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-07-10 14:15:30 -0600, Jerry Jelinek wrote:
>  Thanks to everyone who took the time to look at the patch and send me
> feedback.  I'm happy to work on improving the documentation of this new
> tunable to clarify when it should be used and the implications. I'm trying
> to understand more specifically what else needs to be done next. To
> summarize, I think the following general concerns were brought up.
>
> 1) Disabling WAL recycling could have a negative performance impact on a
> COW filesystem if all WAL files could be kept in the filesystem cache.

> For #1, #2 and #3, I don't understand these concerns. It would be helpful
> if these could be more specific

We perform more writes (new files are zeroed, which needs to be
fsynced), and increase metadata traffic (creation of files), when not
recycling.

Regards,

Andres

От: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki"
Сообщение: RE: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents?
Сообщение: Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents?