Re: Specifying WAL Location in Streaming Replication

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Specifying WAL Location in Streaming Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 09:51:47AM -0400, Matt Dee wrote:
> In the documentation for START_REPLICATION, a required argument is the WAL
> location to begin streaming at, and I'm not sure what to use here.  I have
> been using 0, and it seems to work fine.  Additionally, it seems that when
> --startpos is not provided to pg_recvlogical, it defaults to just sending a
> wal location of 0.
>
> While this seems to work, I feel a bit uneasy about it since I can't find
> any documentation explaining why this works or what this argument does when
> using a replication slot.  Any clarification would be appreciated.

0/0 can be used in the case where the client does not know which
position it should try to use, in which case the server will choose by
itself from the oldest LSN position where changes have been left
unconsumed.  If you have an idea of documentation improvement, I think
that it would be welcome, say in the replication protocol page for the
command START_REPLICATION.  This level of details is really internal,
but fresh ideas may bring more clarity in this area, and nowhere in the
docs are used references to either 0/0 or InvalidXLogRecPtr for WAL
positions.
--
Michael

Вложения