Re: SCRAM with channel binding downgrade attack

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: SCRAM with channel binding downgrade attack
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 10:04:05AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 6/28/18 09:35, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > No, we absolutely still have SCRAM channel binding.
> >
> > *libpq* has no way to *enforce* it, meaning it always acts like our
> > default SSL config which is "use it if available but if it's not then
> > silently accept the downgrade". From a security perspective, it's just
> > as bad as our default ssl config, but unlike ssl you can't configure a
> > requirement in 11.
>
> Isn't this similar to what happened whenever we added a new or better
> password method?  A MITM that didn't want to bother cracking MD5 could
> just alter the stream and request "password" authentication.  Same with
> MD5->SCRAM, SCRAM->SCRAM+CB, and even a hypothetical future change in
> the SCRAM hashing method.  Clearly, we need a more comprehensive
> solution for this.

The issue is that our different password methods were designed to do a
best-effort at preventing _passive_ snoopers from decrypting or reusing
passwords.  With channel binding, we are trying to prevent _active_
network attacks, and our fallback behavior eliminates the protection
that channel binding provides.