Re: [GSoC] working status

От Aleksander Alekseeev
Тема Re: [GSoC] working status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Charles,

>    Here is my current working status. Resolved all warnings found by
> Aleksander previously. Having two threads in parallel. One is the
> thrift binary type implementation, the other is thrift compact byte
> interface implementation. For these two threads, simple data type has
> been implemented and tested, but still need time to focus on
> complicated data type like struct, map or list. Let me know if you
> have any questions. Here is the repo with latest updates,
> https://github.com/charles-cui/pg_thrift

Thanks for keeping us informed!

I noticed that there are not many comments in your code. It's
considered good practice to write at least brief comments for every
procedure with 1) short description of what it does 2) what every
argument means 3) what does the procedure return 4) whether it changes
global state somehow (better avoid it). However, there is no strict
requirement to write these comments, especially if there are many
similar procedures and (1-4) are obvious.

Also I advise to check your code with following tools unless you've
already done this:

* lcov will show whether the code is covered with tests well. If some
  part of code is not covered there is probably a test missing or maybe
  the code is dead and should be removed.
* Clang Static Analyzer may find some errors that are difficult to
  notice with a naked eye.
* Valgrind solves the same issue, but unlike Clang Static Analyzer
  it checks your code not statically but in runtime.

There are plenty of corresponding tutorials online. I wrote a few
myself [1][2][3]. However, although they should be readable through
Google Translate, I guess you may prefer tutorials in English.

[1]: https://eax.me/c-code-coverage/
[2]: https://eax.me/c-static-analysis/
[3]: https://eax.me/valgrind/

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Сообщение: Re: Performance regression with PostgreSQL 11 and partitioning
Сообщение: Re: Performance regression with PostgreSQL 11 and partitioning