Re: I'd like to discuss scaleout at PGCon

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: I'd like to discuss scaleout at PGCon
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 01:28:58PM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> > What we don't want to do is to add a bunch of sharding-specific code
> > without knowing which workloads it benefits, and how many of our users
> > will actually use sharding.  Some projects have it done that, and it
> > didn't end well since they then had a lot of product complexity with
> > little user value.
>
> Key features from my perspective:
> *) fdw in parallel.  how do i do it today? ghetto implemented parallel
> queries with asynchronous dblink

Andres has outlined what needs to be done here:

    https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180525033538.6ypfwcqcxce6zkjj%40alap3.anarazel.de

> *) column store

This could be part of the plugable storage engine.

> *) automatic partition management through shards

Yes, but I am afraid we need to know where we are going before we can
implement management.