Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Ответы Threat models for DB cryptography (Re: [Proposal] Table-levelTransparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key) Management Service (KMS)  (Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 12:12:40PM -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:14:54AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 04:57:18PM -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
> > > Client-side crypto is hard to do well and still get decent performance.
> > > So on the whole I think that crypto is a poor fit for the DBAs-are-the-
> > > threat threat model.  It's better to reduce the number of DBAs/sysadmins
> > > and audit all privileged (and, for good measure, unprivileged) access.
> >
> > Yeah, kind of.  There is the value of preventing accidental viewing of
> > the data by the DBA, and of course WAL and backup encryption are nice.
>
> One generally does not use crypto to prevent "accidental" viewing of
> plaintext, but to provide real security relative to specific threats.
>
> If you stop at encrypting values with no integrity protection for the
> PKs, and no binding to TX IDs and such, you will indeed protect against
> accidental viewing of the plaintext, but not against a determined
> malicious insider.
>
> Is that worthwhile?  Remember: you'll have to reduce and audit sysadmin
> & DBA access anyways.
>
> There is also the risk that users won't understand the limitations of
> this sort of encryption feature and might get a false sense of security
> from [mis]using it.
>
> I'd want documentation to make it absolutely clear that such a feature
> is only meant to reduce the risk of accidental viewing of plaintext by
> DBAs and not a real security feature.

Agreed.  I can see from this discussion that we have a long way to go
before we can produce something clearly useful, but it will be worth it.