Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Nico Williams
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:05:41AM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 6:57 AM, Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, one big problem with per-column encryption is that administrators
> >> can silently delete data, though they can't add or modify it.
> >
> > They can also re-add ("replay") deleted values; this can only be
> > defeated by also binding TX IDs or alike in the ciphertext.  And if you
> > don't bind the encrypted values to the PKs then they can add any value
> > they've seen to different rows.
>
> I think we could avoid it by implementations. If we implement
> per-column encryption by putting all encrypted columns out to another
> table like TOAST table and encrypting whole that external table then
> we can do per-column encryption without such concerns. Also, that way
> we can encrypt data when disk I/O even if we use per-column
> encryption. It would get a better performance. A downside of this idea
> is extra overhead to access encrypted column but it would be
> predictable since we have TOAST.

The case we were discussing was one where the threat model is that the
DBAs are the threat.  It is only in that case that the replay,
cut-n-paste, and silent deletion attacks are relevant.  Encrypting a
table, or the whole DB, on the server side, does nothing to protect
against that threat.

Never lose track of the threat model.

Nico