Re: PATCH: backtraces for error messages

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: PATCH: backtraces for error messages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 12:35:10PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> I wrote it because I got sick of Assert(false) debugging, and I was chasing
> down some "ERROR:  08P01: insufficient data left in message" errors. Then I
> got kind of caught up in it... you know how it is.

Yes, I know that feeling!  I have been using as well the Assert(false)
and the upgrade-to-PANIC tricks a couple of times, so being able to get
more easily backtraces would be really nice.

> It also goes to show there are plenty of places you might want to get a
> stack where you don't have an internal errcode or panic. I don't think that
> idea will fly.

Yep.  Error message uniqueness can help, but getting the call stack
can trace back to more understanding of a problem.
--
Michael

Вложения