Re: Proposal: Adding json logging

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Proposal: Adding json logging
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 11:51:17AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> > I think a suite of json_to_* utilities would be a good bit more
> > helpful in this regard than changing our human-eye-consumable
> > logs. We already have human-eye-consumable logs by default.  What
> > we don't have, and increasingly do want, is a log format that's
> > really easy on machines.
>
> I'm dubious that JSON is "easier on machines" than CSV.

I've found the opposite.

CSV is very poorly specified, which makes it at best complicated to
build correct parsing libraries. JSON, whatever gripes I have about
the format[1] is extremely well specified, and hence has excellent
parsing libraries.

Best,
David.

[1] These are mostly the lack of comments and of some useful data
types like large integers, floats, and ISO-8601 dates.  PostgreSQL
continues to share that last.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Сообщение: Re: Proposal: Adding json logging
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: Adding json logging