Re: submake-errcodes

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: submake-errcodes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Gierth wrote:

>  Tom> I'm beginning to get dissatisfied with this approach of expecting
>  Tom> the topmost Make run to do the generated-headers work
>
> Is it worth exploring the idea of changing to a non-recursive style of
> makefile?

I looked onto this a while ago.  It seems easily doable for the backend
code proper, modulo potential command-line length issues; but anything
involving shared libraries requires Makefile.shlib to be involved, which
seems painful to resolve.  Once I realized the shlib problem, I stopped
trying, but if you find some way around that it may be worthwhile.

I'm altogether ignorant on how might we use it for the headers problem,
mind.  I only tried to tackle the main executable.