Re: Excessive PostmasterIsAlive calls slow down WAL redo

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Excessive PostmasterIsAlive calls slow down WAL redo
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund wrote:

> On April 9, 2018 6:31:07 PM PDT, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> >Would it work to use this second pipe, to which each child writes a
> >byte that postmaster never reads, and then rely on SIGPIPE when
> >postmaster dies?  Then we never need to do a syscall.
>
> I'm not following, could you expand on what you're suggesting?  Note
> that you do not get SIGPIPE for already buffered writes.  Which
> syscall can we avoid?

Ah.  I was thinking we'd get SIGPIPE from the byte sent at the start, as
soon as the kernel saw that postmaster abandoned the fd by dying.
Scratch that then.

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL's handling of fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss at least on XFS
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL's handling of fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss at least on XFS