Re: PostgreSQL's handling of fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss at least on XFS

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PostgreSQL's handling of fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss at least on XFS
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL's handling of fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss at least on XFS  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Re: PostgreSQL's handling of fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss at least on XFS  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: PostgreSQL's handling of fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss at least on XFS  (Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 09:38:03AM -0700, Christophe Pettus wrote:

> > On Apr 8, 2018, at 03:30, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndQuadrant.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > These are way more likely than bit flips or other storage level
> > corruption, and things that we previously expected to detect and
> > fail gracefully for.
>
> This is definitely bad, and it explains a few otherwise-inexplicable
> corruption issues we've seen.  (And great work tracking it down!)  I
> think it's important not to panic, though; PostgreSQL doesn't have a
> reputation for horrible data integrity.  I'm not sure it makes sense
> to do a major rearchitecting of the storage layer (especially with
> pluggable storage coming along) to address this.  While the failure
> modes are more common, the solution (a PITR backup) is one that an
> installation should have anyway against media failures.

I think the big problem is that we don't have any way of stopping
Postgres at the time the kernel reports the errors to the kernel log, so
we are then returning potentially incorrect results and committing
transactions that might be wrong or lost.  If we could stop Postgres
when such errors happen, at least the administrator could fix the
problem of fail-over to a standby.

An crazy idea would be to have a daemon that checks the logs and stops
Postgres when it seems something wrong.

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL's handling of fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss at least on XFS
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL's handling of fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss at least on XFS