Re: libpq options

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: libpq options
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 12:58:50PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> To nitpick:
>
> +       protocol. A Boolean value of <literal>true</literal> tells the
> backend
>
> We don't really have boolean values here, do we? It's just the string true
> that's treated as a boolean by the backend. It just sounds really weird to
> me when written that way. Particularly since the next sentence talks about
> passing "database" as the same thing.
>
> I know that's pretty much nitpicking, but I want to make sure I haven't
> actually missed/forgotten how some part of that one is handled..

Yes, that's indeed a bit inconsistent with the other parameters able to
use boolean-like parameters, like sslcompression or sslmode (deprecated
in favor requiressl), still those two ones are frontend-only
parameters, so they are just able to use "1" or "0".  Replication is
part of the startup packet which uses parse_bool() so valid values can
be true, false, yes, no, on, off, 1 or 0.  And it is even possible to
use upper-case characters.  So why not documenting all that precisely
then?

> It also talks separately about "going into walsender mode" (=physical
> replication) and "instructs the walsender to connect to the database". I
> think that's a bit confusing. I suggest just calling it "physical
> replication mode" and "logical replication mode", and not bother mentioning
> walsender since that's quite internal.

Indeed, this term is pretty spread across the documentation as well.

I have taken into account this feedback, and created the new version
attached, for a v2.

Thoughts?
--
Michael