Re: RFC: Add 'taint' field to pg_control.

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: RFC: Add 'taint' field to pg_control.
Дата
Re: RFC: Add 'taint' field to pg_control.  (Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 01:43:11PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> a significant number of times during investigations of bugs I wondered
> whether running the cluster with various settings, or various tools
> could've caused the issue at hand.  Therefore I'd like to propose adding
> a 'tainted' field to pg_control, that contains some of the "history" of
> the cluster. Individual bits inside that field that I can think of right
> now are:
> - pg_resetxlog was used non-passively on cluster
> - ran with fsync=off
> - ran with full_page_writes=off
> - pg_upgrade was used

What about:

 - pg_control versions used on this cluster (hopefully a full list..obviously
   not going back before PG11);
 - did recovery (you could use "needed recovery" instead, but then there's the
   question of how reliable that field would be);
   + or: timestamp of most recent recovery (attempt?)
 - index corruption detected (on system table?);  Note that "CREATE IF NOT
   EXIST" doesn't avoid unique key errors on system tables, so it's not useful
   to log every ERROR on system tables.
 - page %u is uninitialized --- fixing
 - here's one I just dug up: ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for toast value 10270298 in pg_toast_2619
 - XID wraparound?
 - autovacuum disabled?
 - checksum failue (in system relation?)
 - local_preload_libraries?
 - started in single user mode or with system indices disabled?
 - hit assertion or PANIC ??
 - UPDATE/DELETE/INSERT on system table ? (or maintenance command like
   vacuum/analyze/cluster/reindex?)

Justin

Сообщение: Re: RFC: Add 'taint' field to pg_control.
Сообщение: Re: RFC: Add 'taint' field to pg_control.