Re: pg_update to a new machine?

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: pg_update to a new machine?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ron,

* Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:
> On 02/24/2018 03:10 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> [snip]
> >>To set up log shipping on 8.4, I do this, which works well:
> >>
> >>select pg_start_backup('some_meaningful_tag');
> >>nohup rsync -avz /var/lib/pgsql/data/* postgres@${DESTIP}:/var/lib/pgsql/data/ &
> >>select pg_stop_backup();
> >That's not log shipping, for log shipping you need to specify an
> >archive_command and actually capture all of the WAL generated, or, at a
> >minimum, the WAL generated between the start and stop backup calls.
>
> That's steps #8, 9 and 10 (in our checklist) of setting up log shipping.
> Step #4 is configuring the archive_* statements in postgresql.conf.

I would still recommend you use a tool developed specifically for taking
proper PG backups which validates that all WAL generated during a backup
is properly archived, such as pgBackRest, which also makes sure to sync
all the data out to persistent storage and can also operate in parallel
and perform incremental restores.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: pg_update to a new machine?
Сообщение: Re: pg_update to a new machine?