Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb  1, 2018 at 07:47:14AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > There's also the issue that, in general, communicating different hints
> > and advice depending on the host operating system is not ideal.
> > Because people ask "how do I do such and such in psql?",
> > they do not ask "how do I do such and such in psql in Windows?".
>
> Well, the exit/quit API is just for users to get things done quickly,
> for typing portability.  I don't think it is something that has to have
> a consistent API.

I think the next big question is if/where we want to document this new
behavior.  We don't mention 'help' in the psql manual page, but we do
display it in the startup banner:

    $ psql test
    psql (11devel)
-->    Type "help" for help.

What do we want to do with 'exit' and 'quit'?  Just leave them
undocumented as compatibility commands?  If so, I should at least add a
C comment about this.