Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb  1, 2018 at 12:01:37PM +0100, Daniel Verite wrote:
> Also, the fact that Control-D can quit in the middle of a
> multiline query without any confirmation is a usability problem, because
> you can always fat-finger a Ctrl+key. By comparison, bash doesn't
> accept it and emits the same error as if a script was improperly
> terminated. Example:
>
> $ cat '
> > [Hit Ctrl+D here] bash: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
> bash: syntax error: unexpected end of file
> $

I just researched this.  In bash, it seems Ctrl+C and Ctrl+D do kind of
the same thing, i.e. exit command:

    $ echo '
    > bash: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
    bash: syntax error: unexpected end of file
    $ echo '
    > ^C
    $

so the question is whether it is wise that we have ^C and ^D do
different things on psql, or they should do the same thing.  I doubt we
would want to change ^D, so it would be changing ^C to exit, except we
use ^C to cancel a query and return you to a prompt, so I don't see how
we can change that either.

In summary, we are probably can't improve this.

От: Vladimir Sitnikov
Сообщение: Re: Built-in connection pooling
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v9.0