Re: [HACKERS] GnuTLS support

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] GnuTLS support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-01-29 22:41:53 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> But I think a big part of the value here is to verify that we've
> cleaned up our internal APIs to the point where a different SSL/TLS
> implementation *could* be rolled underneath.

Yea, I completely agree with that.

> As part of that, we certainly want to look at gnutls.  There might be
> more practical value (at least in the short term) in porting to the
> macOS or Windows native TLS stacks.  But the more different libraries
> we look at in the process, the less likely we are to paint ourselves
> into a corner.

That's true. But any further development in the area is already going to
be painful with three libraries (openssl, native windows, native osx),
adding support for a fourth that doesn't buy as anything just seems to
make the situation worse.

Anyway, I'm only -0.5 on it, and I've said my spiel...

Greetings,

Andres Freund