Re: Doc tweak for huge_pages?

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: Doc tweak for huge_pages?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 07:10:33PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 6:30 PM, Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 03:54:26PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> >>
> >> Now that the Windows huge pages patch has landed, here is a rebase.  I
> >> took your alternative and tweaked it a tiny bit more.  Thoughts?
>
> Sorry, right, that was 100% wrong.  It would probably be correct to
> remove the "not", but let's just remove that bit.  New version
> attached.

+        <productname>PostgreSQL</productname>. On Linux, this is called
+        "transparent huge pages", but since that feature is known to cause
+        performance degradation with
+        <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> on current Linux versions
+        (unlike explicit use of <varname>huge_pages</varname>), its use is
+        discouraged.

Consider this shorter, less-severe sounding alternative:
"... (but note that this feature can degrade performance of some
<productname>PostgreSQL</productname> workloads)."

Justin