Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: Local indexes for partitioned table

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: Local indexes for partitioned table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 5:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> > Tangentially: I didn't like very much that I added a new index to
> > pg_index to support this feature.  I thought maybe it'd be better to
> > change the index on indrelid to be on (indrelid,indparentidx) instead,
> > but that doesn't seem great either because it bloats that index which is
> > used to support common relcache operations ...
> >
> > (The more I think of this, the more I believe that pg_inherits is a
> > better answer.  Opinions?)
>
> I actually haven't looked at the code, but the idea that pg_inherits
> is on the way out is news to me.  If that method will work, I don't
> quite see why we should invent something new.

I removed the pg_index.indparentidx column that previous versions add,
and replaced it with pg_inherits rows.  This makes the code a little bit
bulkier in a couple of places, but nothing terrible.  As a benefit,
there's no extra index in pg_index now.

I fixed some outdated comments, too.

Вложения