Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: Local indexes for partitioned table

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: Local indexes for partitioned table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jesper Pedersen wrote:

> On 12/22/2017 10:10 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > If you have wording suggestions for the doc changes, please send them
> > along.
>
> Maybe we should make the default index name more explicit under the 'name'
> parameter as attached.

I'm -0.2 on documenting this.  In general, I'm hesitant to promise more
than strictly needed, mostly because it's more difficult to later change
our minds.  For example, what if soon after this patch we decide to
invent a new mechanism for creating names on partitions?  Also, in
reality there are additional considerations (how do we truncate very
long names, what do we do if the name is already taken) that I would
rather not ossify in user-facing documentation.