Re: Super Optimizing Postgres

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Super Optimizing Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> I think it's an interesting thought of having a program which will test
> a system and work out the Accurate and Correct values for this.

I think if you start out with the notion that there is an Accurate
and Correct value for these parameters, you've already lost the game.
They're inherently fuzzy numbers because they are parameters of an
(over?) simplified model of reality.

It would be interesting to try to fit the model to reality on a wide
variety of queries, machines & operating environments, and see what
numbers we come up with.  But there's always going to be a huge fuzz
factor involved.  Because of that, I'd be *real* wary of any automated
tuning procedure.  Without a good dollop of human judgement in the loop,
an automated parameter-setter will likely go off into never-never land
:-(