Re: Missing column_constraint explanation

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Missing column_constraint explanation
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Michael,

* Michael Paquier (michael.paquier@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 6:08 PM, PG Doc comments form
> <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
> > The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
> >
> > Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-altertable.html
> >
> > Missing column_constraint explanation in parameters section
>
> Those docs say already that ADD COLUMN follows the same grammar as
> CREATE TABLE, which basically means that there is no need to duplicate
> the same definition in two places. Note that the same thing applies to
> table_constraint.

I actually disagree with this because it means that psql's \h output for
ALTER TABLE references column_constraint but doesn't define it anywhere.

I'd rather see us move in the other direction- let's try to make the \h
output for each command actually stand alone.  There was some progress
made in that direction recently though I don't recall which command it
was for off-hand, but I'd prefer if it was a general rule.

Now, if we could do that in such a way that we avoid having to actually
duplicate the 'source' for these productions into different places in
the documentation, that would be fantastic because it certainly isn't
fun having to find all the places that need to be updated, but I'm not
sure how easy that would be to do (and to make work with how psql's help
is generated...).

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Missing column_constraint explanation
Сообщение: Re: Missing column_constraint explanation