Re: [GENERAL] Naming conventions for column names

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Naming conventions for column names
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Sachin Kotwal wrote:

> I believe these naming conventions will be at two levels:
>
> 1. Internal code of PostgreSQL , structures getting used internally
> 2. SQL/C functions get executed at the time of database initialization to
> create default objects and system catalogs.
>

> I will see how much modifications/efforts need to be done and will come
> back again if it is feasible.
>
> My intension is to improve naming conventions and increase naming string
> where naming conventions are correct but make shorten.

I think the proper amount of effort to rename existing system catalog
columns is zero.

Also, I think it's pretty difficult to change column names on views that
have already been released.  The compatibility break for existing tools
is just too large.

A valuable service would be to ensure that any new views, and new
columns on existing views, have sensible names.