Re: [GENERAL] checkpoint and recovering process use too much memory

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [GENERAL] checkpoint and recovering process use too much memory
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

On 2017-11-03 01:43:32 +0000, tao tony wrote:
> I had an asynchronous steaming replication HA cluster.Each node had 64G memory.pg is 9.6.2 and deployed on centos 6.
>

> Last month the database was killed by OS kernel for OOM,the checkpoint process was killed.
>

> I noticed checkpoint process occupied memory for more than 20GB,and it was growing everyday.In the hot-standby
node,therecovering process occupied memory as big as checkpoint process.

> I turned the checkpoint parameters,but it didn't worked.
>
> Now In the standby node,checkpoint and recovering process  used more then 50GB memory as below,and I worried someday
thecluster would be killed by OS again.

>    PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> 167158 postgres  20   0 34.9g  25g  25g S  0.0 40.4  46:36.86 postgres: startup process   recovering
00000004000008550000004B
> 167162 postgres  20   0 34.9g  25g  25g S  0.0 40.2  17:58.38 postgres: checkpointer process
>

> shared_buffers = 32GB

I think it's more likely that what you're seeing is just that both
checkpointer and startup process touch most shared buffers and thus show
up as having touched all that memory.

Regards,

Andres Freund