Re: [HACKERS] Discussion on missing optimizations

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Discussion on missing optimizations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2017-10-14 10:38:13 +1300, David Rowley wrote:
> On 12 October 2017 at 04:50, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We haven't really done a very good job figuring out what to do about
> > optimizations that some people (mostly you) think are marginal.  It's
> > obviously true that we can't just burn infinite planner cycles on
> > things that don't usually help, but at the same time, we can't just
> > keep ignoring requests by users for the same features and saying
> > "you'll be sad if we give this to you".  Those people don't give up on
> > wanting the optimization; they just don't use PostgreSQL.  I think we
> > need to stop just saying "no" and start thinking about what we could
> > do that would let us say "yes".

+1 to the general sentiment.

> I'm with Robert on this.  Planning time *is* important, but if we were
> to do a quick tally on the number of patches that we've seen in the
> last few years to improve execution time by either improving the
> executor code or adding some smarts to the planner to reduce executor
> work vs patches aimed to reduce planning time, I think we'd find the
> general focus is on the executor.

That's true. But I think that's partially because people benchmarking
with the goal to identify bottlenecks just habitually use prepared
statements to remove planning overhead.

That works well enough in benchmarking scenarios, but in practice I
think that's less clearly a good tradeoff - e.g in OLTP workloads you'll
often see custom plans defeating the intent of using prepared
statements.

> Personally, I don't recall a single patch aimed to just speed up the
> planner.

There were some a couple years back.

> It looks like there's plenty we could do in there, just nobody seems
> interested enough to go and do it, everyone who cares about
> performance is too busy trying to make execution run faster.

I think that's largely because our executor speed is quite bad. To some
degree because we paid much less attention to seed degradations there
for a couple years, absurdly enough.

Greetings,

Andres Freund