Re: [HACKERS] On markers of changed data

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [HACKERS] On markers of changed data
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark wrote:

> The general shape of what I would like to see is some log which lists
> where each checkpoint starts and ends and what blocks are modified
> since the previous checkpoint. Then to generate an incremental backup
> from any point in time to the current you union all the block lists
> between them and fetch those blocks. There are other ways of using
> this aside from incremental backups on disk too -- you could imagine a
> replica that has fallen behind requesting the block lists and then
> fetching just those blocks instead of needing to receive and apply all
> the wal.

Hmm, this sounds pretty clever.  And we already have the blocks touched
by each record thanks to the work for pg_rewind (so we don't have to do
any nasty tricks like the stuff Suzuki-san did for pg_lesslog, where
each WAL record had to be processed individually to know what blocks it
referenced), so it shouldn't be *too* difficult ...

> It would also be useful for going in the reverse direction: look up
> all the records (or just the last record) that modified a given block.

Well, a LSN map is what I was suggesting.