Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix freezing of a dead HOT-updatedtuple

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix freezing of a dead HOT-updatedtuple
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix freezing of a dead HOT-updatedtuple  ("Wood, Dan" <hexpert@amazon.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 1:31 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> >> As you must have seen, Alvaro said he has a variant of Dan's original
> >> script that demonstrates that a problem remains, at least on 9.6+,
> >> even with today's fix. I think it's the stress-test that plays with
> >> fillfactor, many clients, etc [1].
> >
> > I just execute setup.sql once and then run this shell command,
> >
> > while :; do
> >         psql -e -P pager=off -f ./repro.sql
> >         for i in `seq 1 5`; do
> >                 psql -P pager=off -e --no-psqlrc -f ./lock.sql &
> >         done
> >         wait && psql -P pager=off -e --no-psqlrc -f ./reindex.sql
> >         psql -P pager=off -e --no-psqlrc -f ./report.sql
> >         echo "done"
> > done
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem on my personal machine using this
> script/stress-test. I tried to do so on the master branch git tip.
> This reinforces the theory that there is some timing sensitivity,
> because the remaining race condition is very narrow.

Hmm, I think I added a random sleep (max. 100ms) right after the
HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum call in vacuumlazy.c (lazy_scan_heap), and that
makes the race easier to hit.