Re: [HACKERS] Possible SSL improvements for a newcomer to tackle

От Nico Williams
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Possible SSL improvements for a newcomer to tackle
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 09:44:01AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 6:33 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> I'm not an SSL expert, so insert appropriate grain of salt, but AIUI the
> >> question is what are you going to verify against?
>
> > One way to do it would be to default to the "system global certificate
> > store", which is what most other SSL apps do. For example on a typical
> > debian/ubuntu, that'd be the store in /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt.
> > Exactly where to find them would be distribution-specific though, and we
> > would need to actually add support for a second certificate store. But that
> > would probably be a useful feature in itself.
>
> Maybe.  The impression I have is that it's very common for installations
> to use a locally-run CA to generate server and client certs.  I would not
> expect them to put such certs into /etc/ssl/certs.  But I suppose there
> might be cases where you would actually pay for a universally-valid cert
> for a DB server ...

No, that is very common.  However, in non-enterprise uses it's also very
common for those to be Web PKI certificates, which would be very
inappropriate for use in PG, so I agree that PG should not use the
system trust anchor set by default.  PG should just require that a trust
anchor set be configured.

Nico