Re: [HACKERS] SendRowDescriptionMessage() is slow for queries with alot of columns

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] SendRowDescriptionMessage() is slow for queries with alot of columns
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Attached is a revised version of this patchset. I'd like to get some
input on two points:

1) Does anybody have a better idea than the static buffer in
   SendRowDescriptionMessage()? That's not particularly pretty, but
   there's not really a convenient stringbuffer to use when called from
   exec_describe_portal_message(). We could instead create a local
   buffer for exec_describe_portal_message().

   An alternative idea would be to have one reeusable buffer created for
   each transaction command, but I'm not sure that's really better.

2) There's a lot of remaining pq_sendint() callers in other parts of the
   tree. If others are ok with that, I'd do a separate pass over them.
   I'd say that even after doing that, we should keep pq_sendint(),
   because a lot of extension code is using that.

3) The use of restrict, with a configure based fallback, is something
   we've not done before, but it's C99 and delivers significantly more
   efficient code. Any arguments against?

Regards,

Andres