Re: [HACKERS] COMMIT TRIGGERs, take n, implemented with CONSTRAINTTRIGGERS

От Nico Williams
Тема Re: [HACKERS] COMMIT TRIGGERs, take n, implemented with CONSTRAINTTRIGGERS
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] COMMIT TRIGGERs, take n, implemented with CONSTRAINTTRIGGERS  (Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:26:08AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-09-14 14:41:12 -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
> > I've read through several old threads on COMMIT TRIGGERs.  Rather than
> > write a lengthy post addressing past debates, here's an implementation
> > and demonstration of [an approximation of] COMMIT TRIGGERs with natural
> > and _desirable_ semantics:
>
> I think you should also explain why that's a desirable set of
> semantics. E.g. explain the use case you have and potential other
> use-cases.  I think it should also be explained that these are
> *pre*-commit triggers - IIRC some people have asked for *post*-commit
> triggers in the past.

Responding out of order:
- Yes, this is a pre-commit thing.
  It's the *same* as DEFERRED CONSTRAINT TRIGGERs.  After all, that's  how I'm implementing this now :)
  Critically, the client/user can no longer execute additional  statements at this point, since they've executed
COMMIT. Therefore  these trigger procedures will see *all* of the changes made by the  user (and all of the changes
madeby commit triggers that run before  them, so, as usual, trigger invocation order matters).

- As to use-cases, I listed a few in my post:
   - update/refresh view materializations   - consistency checks   - NOTIFY   - record history (in particular, record
transactionboundaries)   - and, no doubt, others

Of course all of this can [almost!] be done with CONSTRAINT TRIGGERs,
since that's what I'm demonstrating.

HOWEVER, there's a *very serious* problem with CONSTRAINT TRIGGERs:
unprivileged users can make them run IMMEDIATEly rather than deferred.

Also, using CONSTRAINT TRIGGERs for this is inefficient.  Please see my
post and the linked file to see why.

Nico