Re: [HACKERS] psql: new help related to variables are not tooreadable

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [HACKERS] psql: new help related to variables are not tooreadable
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:
> >​If I was going to try and read it like a book I'd want the extra
> > white-space to make doing so easier (white-space gives the eye a breather
> > when done with a particular concept) - and the length wouldn't really
> > matter since I'd just make a single pass and be done with it.  But the
> > planned usage is for quick lookup of options that you know (or at least
> > suspect) exist and which you probably have an approximate idea of how they
> > are spelled.  The all-caps and left-justified block headers are distinct
> > enough to scan down - though I'd consider indenting 4 spaces instead of 2
> > to make that even easier (less effort to ignore the indented lines since
> > ignoring nothing is easier than ignoring something).​  Having more fit on
> > one screen makes that vertical skimming considerably easier as well (no
> > break and re-acquire when scrolling in a new page).
>
> Hmm, indenting the descriptions a couple more spaces might be a workable
> compromise.  Anyone want to try that and see what it looks like?
> Preferably somebody who's not happy with the current layout ;-)

I have to admit that adding two spaces makes it look a lot more
acceptable to me.

(I'd tweak the description of PSQL_EDITOR_LINENUMBER_ARG by replacing
"how to" with "mechanism to" while at it, by the way.  It took me a
while to understand what it was and I first thought the description was
completely bogus.)