Re: [BUGS] BUG #14814: Documentation errors for OpenBSD

От Pierre-Emmanuel André
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14814: Documentation errors for OpenBSD
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hi Paul,

(I'm keeping the post posting).
Thanks for your message. I agree with Tom. The PostgreSQL's documentation must stay "generic".
The PostgreSQL's package on OpenBSD already have a README file with all the OpenBSD specific instructions.
You can find it in /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes (or online version here:

https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/databases/postgresql/pkg/README-server?rev=1.23&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
)

Feel free to ask me directly if you have any questions.

Regards,

installingthe package using pkg_add, I began to delve into the documentation at postgresql.org.

> > I got to this section on starting the server:
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/server-start.html
> >

> > The documentation did not match my experience (postgresql did not start) which prompted me to file a postgresql bug
report#14814 on the documentation.

> > Specifically, the instructions on what to put in rc.local for openbsd in the documentation says this:
> >
> > if [ -x /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -a -x /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres ]; then
> >     su -l postgres -c '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -s -l /var/postgresql/log -D /usr/local/pgsql/data'
> >     echo -n ' postgresql'
> > fi
> >
> > However, after taking the time to troubleshoot:  This is what winds up working:
> >
> > if [ -x /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -a -x /usr/local/bin/postgres ]; then
> >     su -l _postgresql -c '/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl start -s -l /var/postgresql/logfile -D /var/postgresql/data'
> >     echo -n ' postgresql'
> > fi
> >
> > Knowing that it is openbsd policy to have service names begin with an _ (underscore) and believing that the path
listedto the executable does not seem to match the hier man page on openbsd, I thought this might be a documentation
bug.

> > I want to save other users the time I spent figuring this out which is what brought me here.  In Tom’s response to
mebelow, he believes this to be a port issue.