Re: [HACKERS] Challenges preventing us moving to 64 bit transactionid (XID)?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Challenges preventing us moving to 64 bit transactionid (XID)?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul  6, 2017 at 07:29:07AM -0700, Jim Finnerty wrote:
> re: "The problem is if you want to delete from such a page.  Then you need to
> update the tuple's xmax and stick the new xid epoch somewhere."

I am coming to this very late, but wouldn't such a row be marked using
our frozen-commited fixed xid so it doesn't matter what the xid epoch is?
I realize with 64-bit xids we don't need to freeze tuples, but we could
still use a frozen-commited fixed xid, see:
#define FrozenTransactionId         ((TransactionId) 2)

http://enterprisedb.com