Re: [HACKERS] pgsql 10: hash indexes testing

От AP
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pgsql 10: hash indexes testing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 11:34:13AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 1:10 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It seems so.  Basically, in the case of a large number of duplicates,
> > we hit the maximum number of overflow pages.  There is a theoretical
> > possibility of hitting it but it could also happen that we are not
> > free the existing unused overflow pages due to which it keeps on
> > growing and hit the limit.  I have requested up thread to verify if
> > that is happening in this case and I am still waiting for same.  The
> > squeeze operation does free such unused overflow pages after cleaning
> > them.  As this is a costly operation and needs a cleanup lock, so we
> > currently perform it only during Vacuum and next split from the bucket
> > which can have redundant overflow pages.
>
> Oops.  It was rather short-sighted of us not to increase
> HASH_MAX_BITMAPS when we bumped HASH_VERSION.  Actually removing that
> limit is hard, but we could have easily bumped it for 128 to say 1024
> without (I think) causing any problem, which would have given us quite
> a bit of headroom here.  I suppose we could still try to jam that
> change in before beta3 (bumping HASH_VERSION again) but that might be
> asking for trouble.

I, for one, would be grateful for such a bump (or better). Currently
having more fun than I wish trying to figure out where my inserts will
begin to fail so that I don't make a mess of things. Right now I can't
match data going in with sane partitioning points in-storage. If I can
go "3 months worth of data then partition" or the like and have enough
room for differences in the data then I can be pretty happy. ATM I'm
not getting anywhere near that and am tempted to chuck it all in, eat
the 3-4x disk space cost and go back to btree which'd cost me terrabytes.

AP