[GENERAL] Please say it isn't so

Hi all,

Please tell me this is a mistake:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Systemd

Why a database system should care about how processes get started is
beyond me. Systemd is an entangled mess that every year subsumes more
and more of the operating system, in a very non-cooperative way.

There are almost ten init systems. In every one of those init systems,
one can run a process supervisor, such as runit or s6 or
daemontools-encore, completely capable of starting the postgres server.

Every year, systemd further hinders interoperability, further erodes
interchangeability of parts, and continues to address problems with
WONTFIX. In the long run, you do your users no favor by including
init-system specific code in Postgres or its makefiles. If systemd
can't correctly start Postgres, I guarantee you that s6 or runit,
running on top of systemd, can.

Postgres doesn't care which language makes a query to it. Why
should Postgres care which init system started it? I hope you can free
Postgres of init-specific code, and if for some reason you can't do
that, at least don't recommend init-specific code.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2017 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz