Re: [HACKERS] pgsql 10: hash indexes testing

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pgsql 10: hash indexes testing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 6:51 AM, AP <ap@zip.com.au> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 05:58:25PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:

> >> I can understand your concerns.  To address first concern we need to
> >> work on one or more of following work items: (a) work on vacuums that
> >> can be triggered on insert only workload (it should perform index
> >> vacuum as well) (b) separate utility statement/function to squeeze
> >> hash index (c) db internally does squeezing like after each split, so
> >> that chances of such a problem can be reduced, but that will be at the
> >> cost of performance reduction in other workloads, so not sure if it is
> >> advisable.  Among these (b) is simplest to do but may not be
> >> convenient for the user.
> >
> > (a) seems like a good compromise on (c) if it can be done without disruption
> >     and in time.
> > (b) seems analogous to the path autovcauum took. Unless I misremember, before
> >     autovacuum we had a cronjob to do similar work. It's probably a sane path
> >     to take as a first step on the way to (a)
> > (c) may not be worth the effort if it compromises general use, though perhaps
> >     it could be used to indicate to (a) that now is a good time to handle
> >     this bit?
>
> Nice summarization!  I think before doing anything of that sort we
> need opinions from others as well.  If some other community members
> also see value in doing one or multiple of above things, then I can
> write a patch.

I haven't read the thread, but in late PG10 autovacuum gained the idea
of "work items" that can be plugged from other parts of the server;
currently BRIN uses it to cause a range to be summarized right after the
next one starts being filled.  This is activated separately for each
index via a reloption.  Perhaps something like that can be used for hash
indexes?  See commit 7526e10224f0792201e99631567bbe44492bbde4.