Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 06:41:43PM +0300, Ants Aasma wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 6:26 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Are you checking the CPU type or if AES instructions are enabled on the
> > CPU? I ask this because I just realized in researching my new TLS talk
> > that my BIOS defaults to AES instructions disabled, and I had to
> > manually enable it.
>
> There is zero code for that now, but the plan was to check the CPUID
> instruction. My understanding is that it should report what is
> currently enabled on the CPU. Will double check when actually writing
> the code for the check.

Just for specifics, I have two Intel Xeon CPU E5620, but the AES
instructions were disabled for this CPU since 2012 when I bought it.
:-(  The good news is that only recently have I forced https in some
pages so this is the first time I heavily need it.  I now have a boot
test, which returns 16:
grep -c '\<aes\>' /proc/cpuinfo

> >> My patch is currently doing a block at a time for WAL. The XTS mode
> >
> > Uh, how are you writing partial writes to the WAL.  I assume you are
> > doing a streaming cipher so you can write in increments, right?
>
> We were doing 8kB page aligned writes to WAL anyway. I just encrypt
> the block before it gets written out.

Oh, we do.  The beauty of streaming ciphers built on block ciphers is
that you can pre-compute the cipher to be XOR'ed with the data because
the block cipher output doesn't depend on the user data.  This is used
for SSH, for example.

> >> I think we need to require wal_log_hints=on when encryption is
> >> enabled. Currently I have not considered tearing on CLOG bits. Other
> >> SLRUs probably have similar issues. I need to think a bit about how to
> >> solve that.
> >
> > I am not sure if clog even needs to be encrypted.
>
> Me neither, but it currently is, and it looks like that's broken in a
> "silently corrupts your data" way in face of torn writes. Using OFB
> mode (xor plaintext with pseudorandom stream for cipher) looks like it
> might help here, if other approaches fail.

I would just document the limitation and move on.

http://enterprisedb.com