Re: [HACKERS] Broken hint bits (freeze)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Broken hint bits (freeze)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 07:45:17PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > Now, it seems we later added a doc section early on that talks about
> > "Verify standby servers" so I have moved the wal_level section into that
> > block, which should be safe.  There is now no need to start/stop the new
> > server since pg_upgrade will do that safely already.
> >

> !     <para>
> !      Also, if upgrading standby servers, change <varname>wal_level</>
> !      to <literal>replica</> in the <filename>postgresql.conf</> file on
> !      the new cluster.
>
> I think it is better to indicate that this is required for the master
> cluster (probably it is clear for users) /"on the new cluster."/"on
> the new master cluster.". Do we need something different for v10 where
> default wal_level is 'replica'

You know, I thought about that and was afraid saying "new master
cluster" would be confusing because it isn't a master _yet_, but if you
feel it will help, and I considered it, let's add it.  The problem is
that in the old instructions, at the point we were mentioning this, it
was the new master, which is why I evaluated removing it in the first
place. (Yeah, I am amazed I considered all these cases.)

Updated patch attached.  Thanks.