Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption

От Aleksander Alekseev
Тема Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Kenneth,

> > > File system encryption already exists and is well-tested.  I don't see
> > > any big advantages in re-implementing all of this one level up.  You
> > > would have to touch every single place in PostgreSQL backend and tool
> > > code where a file is being read or written.  Yikes.
> >
> > I appreciate your work, but unfortunately I must agree with Peter.
> >
> > On Linux you can configure the full disc encryption using LUKS /
> > dm-crypt in like 5 minutes [1]. On FreeBSD you can do the same using
> > geli [2]. In my personal opinion PostgreSQL is already complicated
> > enough. A few companies that hired system administrators that are too
> > lazy to read two or three man pages is not a reason to re-implement file
> > system encryption (or compression, or mirroring if that matters) in any
> > open source RDBMS.
>
> While I agree that configuring full disk encryption is not technically
> difficult, it requires much more privileged access to the system and
> basically requires the support of a system administrator. In addition,
> if a volume is not available for encryption, PostgreSQL support for
> encryption would still allow for its data to be encrypted and as others
> have mentioned can be enabled by the DBA alone.

Frankly I'm having difficulties imagining when it could be a real
problem. It doesn't seem to be such a burden to ask a colleague for
assistance in case you don't have sufficient permissions to do
something. And I got a strong feeling that solving bureaucracy issues of
specific organizations by changing PostgreSQL core in very invasive way
(keeping in mind testing, maintaining, etc) is misguided.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption