Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 09:55:10AM -0700, Joe Conway wrote:
> > That way, if the user wants to store the key in an unencrypted text
> > file, they can set the encryption_key_command = 'cat /not/very/secure'
> > and call it a day.  If they want to prompt the user on the console or
> > request the key from an HSM or get it in any other way, they just have
> > to write the appropriate shell script.  We just provide mechanism, not
> > policy, and the user can adopt any policy they like, from an extremely
> > insecure policy to one suitable for Fort Knox.
>
> Agreed, but as Bruce alluded to, we want this to be a master key, which
> is in turn used to encrypt the actual key, or keys, that are used to
> encrypt the data. The actual data encryption keys could be very long
> randomly generated binary, and there could be more than one of them
> (e.g. one per tablespace) in a file which is encrypted with the master
> key. This is more secure and allows, for example the master key to be
> changed without having to decrypt/re-encrypt the entire database.

Yes, thank you.  Also, you can make multiple RSA-encrypted copies of the
symetric key, one for each role you want to view the data.  And good
point on the ability to change the RSA key/password without having to
reencrypt the data.

http://enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption