Re: [HACKERS] Relpartbound, toasting and pg_class

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Relpartbound, toasting and pg_class
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017-06-12 17:10:28 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 6/12/17 15:38, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Just noticed that pg_class now has several varlena fields:
> > #ifdef CATALOG_VARLEN            /* variable-length fields start here */
> >     /* NOTE: These fields are not present in a relcache entry's rd_rel field. */
> >     aclitem        relacl[1];        /* access permissions */
> >     text        reloptions[1];    /* access-method-specific options */
> >     pg_node_tree relpartbound;    /* partition bound node tree */
> > #endif
> >
> > of those relpartbound is fairly new. And pretty much unbounded in
> > size. Aren't we going to run into issues because pg_class doesn't have a
> > toast table? It's quite reasonable to use a multi-field composite type
> > as a partition boundary...
>
> Cases where relacl became too large have been known to exist.  I'm not
> sure whether relpartbound can really be that large to change the
> scenario significantly.

Because it's further increasing the size by something unbounded in size,
which'll not uncommonly be large? It makes a fair amount of sense to
partition by multiple columns at once (using the expression syntax).

- Andres

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Transactional sequence stuff breaks pg_upgrade
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Transactional sequence stuff breaks pg_upgrade