Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] pgsql 9.3 for debian/sid in pgdg repo hasasserts enabled causing big performance issues

От Christoph Berg
Тема Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] pgsql 9.3 for debian/sid in pgdg repo hasasserts enabled causing big performance issues
Дата
Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] pgsql 9.3 for debian/sid in pgdg repo hasasserts enabled causing big performance issues  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Stefan Huehner 2017-06-10 <20170610132747.GD11504@huehner.biz>
> In short:
> The following part from latest changelog:
>   * debian/rules: Add stub to enable cassert builds (disabled by default).
>
> does not work in practice as in debian/rules file the
>
> #CASSERT_FLAGS := --enable-cassert
>
> line is not commented out as it should have been.
>
> That causes severe peformance issues at least in our use-case of batch-inserting lots of data with runtime going from
ca.1min to >=6min.

Hi,

I'm sorry for not properly announcing and documenting this recent
change properly, we should put a note on the wiki page.

What's happening is that in git the line is indeed commented out, but
then the apt.postgresql.org build scripts will activate the line when
building for sid-pgdg (which is the whole point why that stub logic
got introduced). The idea is that one of the distributions on
apt.postgresql.org should have cassert enabled so the testsuites
exercise more test cases, for the server packages as well as for
extension packages. As sid is Debian's development branch, it made
sense to enable cassert there.

You seem to use the sid-pgdg packages for production data - is there a
reason you are not using jessie-pgdg or stretch-pgdg?

Christoph